The Save Emails and Attachments add-on supports all the Gmail advanced options that assist you in fine-tuning your email search and refining your results. You can click the
plus icon in the advanced search box to view a sample of search options that you can use for improved search results.
The advanced search query syntax is
operator:search_keyword. For instance, you could say
from:paypal.com to find all emails where the sender is PayPal. Use the logical boolean search operators to specify multiple search operators (e.g., from:paypal OR subject:invoice).
|Search Criteria||Gmail Search Query|
|Emails that are either starred or unread||is:unread OR is:starred|
|Emails with specific recipients in the To or Cc fields||to:amit OR cc:aryaman|
|Emails received during a specific time period||after:2023/01/01 before:2023/06/15|
|Search for messages older or newer than a time period||older_than:7d (for 7 days) newer_than:2m (for 2 months) older_than: 2y (for 2 years)|
|Search Gmail by size||larger:10M (for emails larger than 10 MB) smaller:1M (for emails small than 1 MB) size:1000 (specify the size in bytes)|
|Email messages that are in a particular email folder (or label).||in:label_name label:label_name label:personal-emails in:anywhere (message anywhere in Gmail)|
|Find emails that have no labels applied||has:nouserlabels has:userlabels|
|Find emails that have particular words in the subject line||subject:invoice subject:(invoice OR receipt) subject:"payment received"|
|Find messages that contain particular words||dinner OR movie (either words) dinner AND movie (contain both words) (dinner movie) (contain both words) "dinner movie" (exact phrase)|
|Find emails that have an attachments||has:attachments filename:pdf (search attachments by type) filename:emails.csv (search by file name)|
|Search for messages delivered to a particular email address||deliveredto:firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Emails where my email is either in CC or BCC||cc:me OR bcc:me|
|Emails that do not contain a specific word||-cats|
|Find emails messages in trash or spam||label:spam OR label:trash|
|Find emails anywhere but in spam or trash||in:anywhere|
|Find emails that contain links to Google Drive or Google Slides or YouTube||has:youtube OR has:drive OR has:presentation|
Gmail Search - Things to Know
- Search for an exact phrase by enclosing the phrase inside double quotes. Capitalization is ignored.
- You can use logical operators like AND, NOT or OR to refine your search and they must always be typed in uppercase letters.
- Search for email messages by date using the before: and after: search operators. The date format is yyyy/mm/dd (e.g., 2023/07/15)
- You cannot use the bcc: operator to find emails in which you were blind carbon copied.
- If the label name in Gmail includes a space (e.g., Office Expenses), use a dash in the query when searching for emails inside that label (e.g. label:office-expenses)